All treats-no tricks for our October Mattress Mania Month. Save on your favorite mattress and get a great night's sleep. It's also a good time to go over some things you need to know about your mattress warranty plus some helpful tips in keeping your new bed mattress or futon mattress in excellent condition!
It is amazing how many people purchase a new mattress and don't have any knowledge about their warranty. What does it cover and how to get action if their is a problem? If you are spending a good amount of that hard earned money on something, I think it is important to know how to protect it and if a warranty is available, how to use it! I'm sure as you read the facts, you will find things you already knew and a couple of tips you would have not thought of!
Things you NEED to know:
- You should rotate your mattress on a regular basis. This will promote even wear. If your mattress is a no flip, it should still be rotated.
- For your warranty to be valid, you must use the proper frame with center supports and a matching foundation or platform bed with close slats or solid base for proper support.
- Any stains, wet spots, soiling or signs of abuse will void your warranty. This is a BIG problem when people are not aware of what the warranty says. It is important to buy a mattress protector or good pad to keep your mattress clean and dry.
- Did you know that old box springs wear out just like a mattress? To provide proper support, it is suggested, when buying a new mattress, you need to purchase a foundation or a wood or metal platform frame. What is a foundation, you ask? A foundation has no springs. It is a wood or metal frame with fabric covering. box springs have an innerspring unit inside a wood frame with fabric covering.
- If for any reason you need to store your mattress (because you are moving, waiting for a room to be finished, etc.), it is best to store the mattress flat. Storing it flat will decrease the chance of it getting damaged.
- You need to let your mattress air out when it first arrives. It might have an oder. The oder is not dangerous to your health, it is simply from the materials used to produce your mattress.
Things you DON'T want to do:
- Do not remove the law tag at the end of your mattress. This tag has an identification needed to establish dates and materials for your warranty .
- You should not jump on your mattress or bend it excessively. This will limit the life of your mattress. Normal use of an adjustable base is permitted. But only certain types of mattresses will work with an adjustable base.
- Do not use cleaning fluids on your mattress. The chemicals may damage some of the materials.
- Try not to let your mattress get wet. Again, using a mattress protector will decrease the chances of damage.
- Never smoke in bed. Not only it is unhealthy but it can cause fires. This is reported to be the number one cause of fatal fires in the home.
Now, enjoy your mattress and keep these tips in mind! If you have any questions or if something needs to be explained in more detail, don't hesitate to call and ask the futon store staff! We are all here to guide you in the right direction. The futon store has a great selection of innerspring, memory foam, gel foam and hybrid mattresses for your futon or bed.